For the public
To be referred to the Memory Clinic, a referral form is to be filled out by your GP and sent to the Memory Clinic here at Mercer’s Institute for Successful Ageing.
When you receive your appointment letter, please confirm your appointment by calling (01) 416 2640. If you are unable to attend, please contact (01) 416 2640 to re-schedule your visit. Please note that it may take up to 3 months before another appointment date becomes available if you decide to cancel.
The initial appointment can take up to two hours, so please ensure you have set aside enough time to complete the assessment. It is very important, if at all posiible, that you bring a relative, friend or carer who knows you well and can assist with the assessment process. Please also bring the following with you to your appointment:
- any reading glasses or hearing aids that you need,
- a complete list of the medications that you are currently taking,
- any relevant information on tests and procedures completed in other hospitals including copies of any brain scans that you may have,
- if you are diabetic, please bring your glucometer as your blood sugars may be monitored during specific tests,
- if you are asthmatic, please bring your inhalers to the clinic.
For health professionals
The Memory Clinic assists patients with memory problems that most likely have a neurodegenerative basis and are at an early stage of the disease process. The Memory Clinic provides an assessment and disclosure service; it does not provide ongoing care and treatment which is provided by local services in their own community. Once a diagnosis is made, the patient and family are discharged back to the referring source.
Please use the following when referring to the Memory clinic:
Referral forms are to be sent to the following address:
Mercer’s Institute for Successful Ageing
St James Hospital
Phone: (01) 416 2640
Fax: (01) 410 3487